Friday, March 02, 2007

a few spring thoughts

Quicky linkorama for the lazy Friday afternoon:

-Some of my good friends live/are stationed in Georgia. It's a fine place. There's an international food market with an amazing selection in Decatur, near Atl. But I suppose judging a state by it's food venues doesn't work as well as judging a state by it's news broadcasts. I do love them Krispy Kremes, but not that much.

-This joke is getting old. Real old. So much for fewer immature postings. Best of luck to the child though.

-That Porter fellow is now unemployed. Wouldn't it blow if somehow the Ravens ended up with an AD for JP swap?

-Not merely about Albert Gore, rather an excellent article by David Remnick. Am I still miffed by Al name-dropping his book(5x) at my graduation speech? Not at all. In fact, congratulations on the Oscar. You're now officially cooler than Three 6 Mafia in my book. Not really. Three 6 is badass.

-Daisuke, 6pm tonight. Why haven't I bought mlb.tv yet? Aside from being able to view all these games, I like mlb.tv for the refreshing announcing from each local market. I'm not saying every local announcer is a Rhodes Scholar, illuminating the world with beams of eloquent analysis. But at least they make certain assumptions of their audience, things like them actually watching the games and paying attention to the daily news reports. Rarely will some local homer pretend the audience had just crawled out of a cave and needs to be explained the infield fly rule, or talk about winter acquisitions in June, or pull a Steve Phillips:
"The key here is consistency because x-player is such a good athlete, and if you watch him play, he knows how to swing the bat and hit the ball and make plays, because making plays is what makes him great."
-Okay. So saying local guys are good announcers is specious at best. But here's a list of national guys I can't stand: Steve Phillips, Joe Buck, Joe Morgan, Tim McCarver. Please stop talking gentleman. By your voices, I feel myself becoming dumber. (Umm, I mean getting more dumberer at an increased pace.)

No comments: